Monday, February 11, 2008

Born Again Pagan?

I recently received a comment/question about one of my pieces titled *Born Again*. It read as follows:

"The terms "born again" and "pagan" don't jive. From where are you coming with these terms? Just curious."

Since I don't often provide my source(s) of inspiration or purpose for creating each of my pieces I thought I would share my short response/explanation to the inquiry here for anyone else who may be wondering the same thing.

Simply put, much of my work is created with a touch of humor and often incorporates bits of social commentary as I see fit. In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably make it clear that I am a pagan. The act of juxtaposing the terms "born again" and "pagan" was done primarily as an expression of Discordian Humor and Pagan Pride.

I have always loved the way in which art speaks to different people in different ways, sending different messages, evoking different emotions, sparking different thoughts/reactions, etc. That is part of why I shy away from revealing too much about the space in which any specific work of mine is created. I do not wish to interfere with the purity of the experience that one has upon encountering any work of art.

There is, in my opinion, no "right" or "wrong" reaction to - or interpretation of - any piece of art. It is a very personal and wholly unique connection (whether that be in the positive or negative sense) that one should never allow another to invalidate in any way. Discussions of different interpretations and the message(s) certain pieces may seem to send are great! If a piece provokes thought, discussion, self-exploration, etc., then that is wonderful too!

Uh-oh, I've kind of lost my train of thought now. I'd better get off these tracks before I unwittingly become some kind of railroad kill or something...

Blessed Be,
hope
harvestorm creations

1 comment:

bonniebluedenim said...

Seems to me that you have reaffirmed yourself as a pagan, much the same way as any born again anything would!! Or as you said an oxymoronic expression, I love that work oxymoron, ( hope I spelled it correctly). I am a Christian, not sure if I am born again, but with the behavior of some of us out there in the world, I can understand why you would proudly announce yourself as Born again -Pagan.( on a side note Let me not judge the entire Christian community by the actions of one extreme wing,) I love this piece and all is says to me and you! PS....welcome to the ZNE book club, found your link there, and I'm loving your blog! Thanks for letting me post.

ss_blog_claim=4544006f5583a35c4c9e78ad9e474438