Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Crayon Cupcakes

I joined the ZNE Book Club for the month of February and the book we have been working with is Collage Unleashed, authored by artist Traci Bautista. In it, she introduces artists to the concept of painting with crayons. She recommends the use of Crayon Cupcakes (which are created by melting various crayons together in a muffin tin) in order to have multicolored pieces with which to create beautiful and highly texturized backgrounds.

Here's a background I made using the the cupcake in the center of the pile - that's why that one is so much smaller than the others. :-) I used a small crafting iron to melt the multi-colored cupcake onto a sheet of card stock and then randomly pressed the iron onto the paper to create some interesting textures and patterns.

You can melt the cupcakes like I did, drip them, smear them, or just outright color with them. I created this background with the green colored cupcake in the front of the pile and then tried stamping some images over the top of it.

After making my first batch of six cupcakes, I was hooked! I have decided to make more and more and I am listing some of them for sale in my Etsy Shop. All of my Crayon Cupcakes are made from a mixture of 3-4 non-toxic new Crayola Crayons. Each cupcake is approximately 2" in diameter and about 1/4" thick.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=4544006f5583a35c4c9e78ad9e474438