Monday, November 24, 2008

"Butterfly By Night"

I want to take a moment to give a thankful shout-out to Etsian, readingsully2, who introduced me (and a number of the other "ACEO Bounty" Challenge Artists) to the increasingly popular art form of Iris Folding.

So, what exactly is Iris Folding, you ask? According to Squidoo, the technique of Iris folding originated in Holland. Using this technique, color coordinated strips of folded paper are taped into place over a pattern, creating a spiralling design that resembles the iris of an eye or camera. Originally, Dutch crafters would cut their strips from envelopes with patterned interiors, but now it is common to use lightweight papers including those used for origami to create iris folded designs.

The ACEO I am featuring here is titled, "Butterfly By Night," and was my first attempt at creating an Iris Folding piece. The title for this miniature work of art came about from the fact that I was having such a great time creating this piece that I actually continued the work I had been doing all day with it straight on through the entirety of the following night!

Butterfly By Night by harvestormTo create the Iris Folding design that forms the wings of this butterfly, I used scrapbook paper (three different patterns) comprised of various browns, pinks, red, and white. The body and antennae were made by creatively looping and knotting a couple of pieces of soft black wire.

The butterfly itself is surrounded by a piece of maroon colored acid-free card stock that I embellished with a glittery pink gel pen which, due to its metallic properties, sparkles and shines in some lights (as in the photo above) and is more matte-looking in others (as in the photo below).

Butterfly By Night by harvestormTo add further textural and visual interest to this piece, I stamped a crackle pattern around the butterfly using black archival pigment ink and then finished the piece by inking an outline around the butterfly wings and the outer edges of the card as well.

I have initialed this one-of-a-kind 2.5" x 3.5" work of art on the front, and have signed, titled and dated it on the back. It is currently available in my Etsy Shop, harvestorm creations, and is currently priced at $10.00 (USD).

The texture and depth that you see and feel when handling this carefully crafted Iris Folded ACEO (or any other Iris Folded work of art, for that matter) is the very best part of such a piece. And believe you me when I say that it is extremely challenging to capture these qualities in a mere photographic image. When seen in person, you are sure to be pleasantly surprised and even more impressed with this carefully and creatively crafted collectible work of art.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=4544006f5583a35c4c9e78ad9e474438